Phone:+61 3 9225 8539
MOBILE:0414 891 076
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Anna practices in general commercial and insurance litigation in the Federal and State courts. Additionally, Anna is regularly briefed in a range of administrative and common law matters for government and regulatory bodies and in a range of disciplinary proceedings. Anna has particular experience in complex representative proceedings or “class actions”, particularly in mass tort actions.
Anna represents the Victorian Bar on the Federal Court Class Actions user group.
Most recently Anna has been briefed to act on behalf of the Country Fire Authority in Matthews v SPI Electricity Pty Ltd (2010 - 2014) and in Liesfield v SPI Electricity Pty Ltd (2013 – current); large scale tortious ‘class actions’ litigated in the Victorian Supreme Court arising out of the Kilmore East and the Murrindindi Black Saturday bushfires.
Some of Anna’s other recent cases include:
- VicRoads v Young (County Court) (2014): briefed on behalf of VicRoads. Personal injury action involving issues arising under the Road Management Act 2004 (Vic), the Transport Accident Act 1986 (Vic) and at common law (instructed by Russell Kennedy)
- VicRoads v Smith (2014): application to set aside subpoeana directed to the Minister and Chief Executive Officer
- Henry v Henry (County Court) (2014): proprietary estoppel claim (instructed by Norton Rose Fulbright Australia).
- Jasminca Jurisic v Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (VCAT) (2014): appeared on behalf of the Nursing and Midwifery Board. Case involved questions of the power to grant an exemption from a registration standard when the State Board lacked delegated authority (instructed by the Victorian Government Solicitor’s Office)
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia v JPH (VCAT) (2014): appeared on behalf of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia instructed by the Victorian Government Solicitors' Office in disciplinary proceedings involving allegations of sexual impropriety and the effects of anaesthesia on post-operative recall (instructed by the Victorian Government Solicitor’s Office)
- Country Fire Authority v Michael James Archer (Supreme Court) (2013): sole counsel in multiple party negligence and property damage claim (instructed by Norton Rose Australia).
- Utility Services Corporation Limited v SPI Electricity Pty Ltd & Ors  VSCA 158: appeared as sole counsel on appeal for the State Parties. Appeal involved interpretation of proportionate liability provisions of the Wrongs Act (instructed by Norton Rose Australia).
- Pistorino v Connell (Supreme Court): breach of trust case against trustee and directors of trust companies; involvement with application for appointment of litigation guardian where the plaintiff was ‘incapable by reason of mental infirmity of managing her affairs in relation to the proceeding’ (with Simon Wilson SC).
- Skehan v Medical Board of Australia:  VSCA 9: Appeal from a decision of VCAT in disciplinary proceedings (instructed by Minter Ellison; led by Stephen Donoghue SC)
- Commonwealth Insurance Ltd v Breslin (Supreme Court) (2012): insurance law dispute involving allegations of non-disclosure, misrepresentation and potential arson claim (instructed by Turks Legal)
- Permarest v Colonial Mutual Life Assurance Society (Supreme Court) (2012): life insurance claim; proportionate liability defence (instructed by Turks Legal)
- Amanatidis v Amanatidis (Supreme Court): Corporations Law, allegations of breach of directors’ duties; discretionary trusts; breach of contract instructed by Herbert Geer (2011) (with Simon Wilson SC).
- Getzler and another v Coadys (a firm)  HCA 211: solicitor’s cost agreement and alleged breach of the Legal Practice Act 1996, sections 97-99. (with Helen Symon SC and previously with David Collins SC)) (instructed by Wisewoulds)
- Franmark Pty Ltd v Hobsons Bay City Council (2008) acted for the developer in a land valuation and compensation dispute; interlocutory application with respect to legal professional privilege and implied waiver (instructed by Wisewoulds)(with Jim Peters SC).
- Clark v Stingel  VSCA 292: common law claim (with Terry Forrest QC as His Honour then was)
- Fluor Australia Pty Ltd v AMP General Insurance Limited & Ors: (Supreme Court) acted for AMP General Insurance Limited & Ors (with Geoff McArthur SC) in a professional negligence and Insurance Contracts Act dispute involving a claim in excess of $250 million relating to the construction and engineering of the Murrin Murrin nickel mine in WA instructed by DLA Phillips Fox (2001-2006)
Prior to becoming a barrister, Anna spent two years working in the commercial litigation department of Norton Rose, London where she worked on the US$2 billion Thyssen-Bornemisza trust litigation in the Supreme Court in Bermuda. She was also formerly a senior associate with Coadys (now Wisewould Mahoney).
To get in touch with Anna Robertson | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.