Phone:+61 3 9225 7306
MOBILE:0424 658 738
460 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Christie has a broad commercial practice with a decade of experience in corporations and trust disputes, directors' duties, shareholder disputes and corporate insolvency. Christie also has experience in building and construction disputes (including under security of payment legislation). She regularly appears in all jurisdictions in interlocutory applications, trials and appeals and has a demonstrated ability for complex problem solving.
Before coming to the Bar, Christie was a solicitor in the litigation and disputes team at Corrs Chambers Westgarth where she conducted a broad range of litigation acting for public companies, private companies and regulatory bodies in the County Court, Supreme Court, Federal Court and appellate courts. She has also represented clients in Royal Commissions and Parliamentary Inquiries.
In 2019, Christie won the Women in Insolvency and Restructuring Victoria’s ‘Young Gun Award'.
Christie holds a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and a Bachelor of Business (International Trade). She has lectured in Dispute Resolution, Civil Procedure and Legal Ethics.
Some recent and ongoing matters in which Christie has appeared include:
- Re Serviced Apartments Melbourne Group & Melbourne Serviced Apartments Pty Ltd  VSC 752 - acted for the defendant in successfully opposing application for leave to bring derivative proceedings and on successful cross-application for winding up on just and equitable grounds
- Garda Capital Ltd v Cockram Construction Ltd (VSC) - acting for the sixth defendant in proceedings alleging defective building works (ongoing)
- JT Nominees Pty Ltd v Tramco Holdings Pty Ltd & Ors (VSC) - acting for the defendants/plaintiffs by counterclaim in proceedings alleging oppressive conduct and breaches of director's duties (ongoing)
- Eynesbury Property Development v AXF Properties (VSC) - acting for the plaintiff in proceedings involving contractual and Australian Consumer Law claims arising out of a land development joint venture (led by T Mitchell) (settled during trial)
SG Investments Group v K&K Industries  VCC 1499 - acted for the plaintiff in successfully resisting application for review of decision under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act
- Punton's Shoes v Citi-Con  VSC 514 - acted for defendant on judicial review application of adjudication determination under the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act
- Civifleet Resources (in liq) & Or v Civifleet & Or (VSC) – proceedings involving allegations of insolvent trading and breach of director’s duties (settled before trial)
- Equity-One Mortgage Fund Ltd v Wightwick & Ors  VCC 1251 - acted for first defendant on successful application to have judgment in default set aside and in proceedings involving allegations of unconscionable conduct in respect of a mortgage backed loan facility agreement (settled before trial)
- SYNC Building Systems (Vic) Pty Ltd v Infinity Constructions Group (VCC) - successfully obtained ex-parte injunction restraining defendant from calling on bank guarantee
- Marubeni Equipment Finance (Oceania) Pty Ltd v Harris  VCC 267 – acted for plaintiff in a successful contempt application arising out of a breach of court orders
- Harris v Marubeni Equipment Finance (Oceania) Pty Ltd  VSCA 211 – acted for the respondent in successfully resisting an application for leave to appeal against custodial sentence for contempt
- Snapper Holdings v Lentini  VSC 800 - acted for the plaintiff in proceedings considering enforceability of terms of settlement (led by Marcus Clarke QC)
- Lam v Lam; Lam v Nguyen  VSCA 173 – acted for applicant in proceedings involving allegations of fraudulent transfer of land and forgery (led by Noel Magee QC, with Andrew Tragardh)
- Lam v Lam (No 2)  VSCA 247 - acting for applicant seeking stay of order pending special leave application (led by Noel Magee QC)
- Australian Unicorn Agricultural Developments v Aufeng Investment Holdings & Ors (VCC) – proceedings involving allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct and breach of director’s duties
- Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria v Daiso (Industries) Australia Pty Ltd (No 3)  FCA 1488 – acted for respondent in proceedings involving breaches of product safety standards under the Australian Consumer Law (led by Andrew McClelland QC, with Travis Mitchell)
To get in touch with Christie Jones | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.