Phone:+61 3 9225 7306
MOBILE:0424 658 738
460 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Christie has a broad commercial practice with particular experience in contract, corporations, equity and trust disputes, corporate insolvency, and building and construction matters (including security of payments). She regularly appears in all jurisdictions in interlocutory applications, trials and appeals and has a demonstrated ability for complex problem solving.
Before coming to the Bar, Christie was an associate at Corrs Chambers Westgarth where she acted for public companies, private companies and regulatory bodies in the County Court, Supreme Court, Federal Court and appellate courts. Christie has also represented clients in Royal Commissions and Parliamentary Inquiries.
In 2019, she won the Women in Insolvency and Restructuring Victoria’s ‘Young Gun Award'.
Christie holds a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) and a Bachelor of Business (International Trade). She has lectured in Dispute Resolution, Civil Procedure and Legal Ethics.
Some recent and ongoing matters in which Christie has appeared include:
- Lam v Lam; Lam v Nguyen  VSCA 173 – acting for applicant in proceedings involving allegations of fraudulent transfer of land and forgery (led by Noel Magee QC, with Andrew Tragardh)
- Australian Unicorn Agricultural Developments v Aufeng Investment Holdings & Ors (VCC) – proceedings involving allegations of misleading and deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct and breach of director’s duties (unled)
- Director of Consumer Affairs Victoria v Daiso (Industries) Australia Pty Ltd (No 3)  FCA 1488 – acted for respondent in proceedings involving breaches of product safety standards under the consumer law (led by Andrew McClelland QC, with Travis Mitchell)
- Civifleet Resources (in liq) & Or v Civifleet & Or (VSC) – proceedings involving allegations of insolvent trading and breach of director’s duties (settled before trial)
- SYNC Building Systems (Vic) Pty Ltd v Infinity Constructions Group (VCC) - successfully obtained ex-parte injunction restraining defendant from calling on bank guarantee
- Marubeni Equipment Finance (Oceania) Pty Ltd v Harris (VCC) – successfully obtained ex-parte injunction for the plaintiff
- Marubeni Equipment Finance (Oceania) Pty Ltd v Harris  VCC 267 – acting for the plaintiff in a successful contempt application arising out of a breach of court orders
- Harris v Marubeni Equipment Finance (Oceania) Pty Ltd  VSCA 211 – acting for the respondent in successfully resisting an application for leave to appeal against custodial sentence
- Equity-One Mortgage Fund Ltd v Wightwick & Ors  VCC 1251 - acting for first defendant on successful application to have judgment in default set aside
- Twig & Co v Shang Shang Investment  (VCC) - acting for the plaintiff in a successful application for judgment under s 16(2) of the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act
- Keech & Co v K & K Autos  VCAT 1859 - acting for respondent in successfully resisting application for assignment of leasehold interest
- Equity-One Mortgage Fund Ltd v Wightwick & Ors (VCC) - acting for the first defendant in proceedings involving allegations of unconscionable conduct in respect of a mortgage backed loan facility agreement
- Garda Capital Ltd v Cockram Construction Ltd (VSC) - acting for the sixth defendant in proceedings alleging defective building works
To get in touch with Christie Jones | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.