Julianne Jaques QC
Phone:+61 3 9225 7629
MOBILE:0439 038 978
200 Queen Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Dr Julianne Jaques QC specialises in taxation. She maintains chambers in both Melbourne and Sydney and has appeared in all higher Federal, Victorian and New South Wales courts. Julianne has extensive experience in dealing with all stages of taxation disputes, acting for both taxpayers and the Commissioner. She is experienced in alternative dispute resolution and has appeared in numerous neutral evaluations and mediations. She has also appeared in and advised on State Revenue matters.
In March 2020, Julianne was awarded Chartered Tax Adviser of the Year by The Tax Institute from an eligible membership of over 7,000 across Australia. She is listed in the current editions of both Chambers and Partners' Leading Lawyers (category: The Tax Bar, Australia), and Doyles Guide to the Australian Legal Profession (category: Victoria's Leading Tax Barristers).
The Federal Government has appointed Julianne a part-time member of the Board of Taxation, the Tax Practictioners Board and the Independent Parliamentary Expenses Authority.
Prior to coming to the Bar Julianne had over 10 years’ experience in private tax practice with Freehills (now Herbert Smith Freehills) and PricewaterhouseCoopers. She also spent two years as senior tax adviser to the Federal Assistant Treasurer. She is a chartered accountant and chartered tax adviser and holds a doctorate in law from the University of Melbourne. Julianne's doctoral thesis was on the corporate cash flow tax.
Julianne has particular expertise in disputes involving complex transactions, including infrastructure projects, to which she brings her strong legal analytical skill, her understanding of finance and government, and her knowledge as a chartered accountant. She is frequently sought by professional associations to present on taxation matters.
Court appearances include:
- Commissioner of Taxation v Sharpcan Pty Ltd  HCA 36 (led by G Davies QC with junior L Molesworth)
- Bywater Investments Limited v Commissioner of Taxation; Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation  HCA 45 (16 November 2016) (led by A Slater QC and K Stern SC)
Full Federal Court:
- Victoria Power Networks Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 169 (led by G Davies QC with junior L Molesworth)
- Gould v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 1 (9 January 2017) (led by D McGovern SC)
- Commissioner of Taxation v Normandy Finance and Investments Asia Pty Ltd  FCAFC 180 (16 December 2016) (led by D McGovern SC)
- Taras Nominees Pty Ltd as Trustee for the Burnley Street Trust v Commissioner of Taxtaion  FCAFC 4 (28 January 2015) (led by Greg Davies QC)
New South Wales Court of Appeal:
- Anglo American Investments Pty Ltd v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation  NSWCA 17 (15 February 2017) (led by D McGovern SC)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Gould  FCA 337 (sole counsel)
- Sole Luna Pty Ltd as Trustee for the PA Wade No 2 Settlement Trust v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 1195 (led by M Flynn QC)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Chemical Trustee Limited (No 9)  FCA 1178 (3 Nov 2015) (sole counsel)
- Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation (No 19)  FCA 454 (4 May 2015) (sole counsel)
- Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 1392 (19 Dec 2014) (led by Des Fagan SC, now Justice Fagan of the NSW Supreme Court)
- Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 28 (13 Mar 2013) (led by Michael Wigney SC, now Justice Wigney of the Federal Court)
Advices provided include:
- February 2012: foreign income tax offset limits, with Mark Moshinsky SC (now Justice Moshinsky of the Federal Court)
- June 2012: taxation of sub-lease arrangements, with Alan Archibald QC
To get in touch with Julianne Jaques QC | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.