Phone:+61 3 9225 7342
MOBILE:0421 202 108
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Lucy has a multidisciplinary practice in wills and estate litigation, general commercial litigation and criminal law. She a dedicated and pragmatic litigator.
Wills and probate litigation
Lucy is regularly briefed to advise and appear for plaintiffs and defendants in Part IV testator family maintenance claims in the County Court and Supreme Court. She accepts briefs in relation to matters concerning the Wills Act 1997 (Vic) and the Administration and Probate Act 1958 (Vic), including the following recent examples: applications for revocation of a grant; advice on issue of alleged delegation of testamentary power in a will; advice on sections 9, 13 and 45 of the Wills Act; negotiations for the timely removal of improper caveat; advice in relation to testamentary capacity issues; advice in relation to duties of Executors and s 31 of Administration and Probate Act 1958; and advice on application pursuant to s 70ZD of Administration and Probate Act.
Lucy has a busy general commercial practice, advising and appearing both led and unled in contested proceedings across multiple Victorian jurisdictions. She is particularly interested in matters concerning contractual disputes, and sections 18 and 21 of the Australian Consumer Law. She also has experience advising and appearing in relation to costs disputes.
Lucy is briefed as junior Counsel in the ongoing Fonterra Class action, led by Paul Liondas and Rob Heath QC.
Lucy accepts briefs from both prosecution and defence and is a part of the Crown Prosecutors Mentoring Program in 2020-2021. She has significant experience in running contests, bail applications, pleas and committals, and has appeared as junior Counsel in County Court trials.
Some of Lucy’s recent and ongoing matters include:
- Fonterra Australia Pty Ltd v Geoffrey and Lynden Iddles (County Court of Victoria, 2019-2020): acting for the Plaintiff in a loan agreement dispute, proceeding transferred to SCV and stayed pending the class action
- Iddles v Fonterra Australia Pty Ltd & Ors (Supreme Court of Victoria, 2020-current): a class action concerning allegations of breach of contract, misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct, for the Defendants (led by Paul Liondas and Rob Heath QC)
- Guneser v Aitken Partners  VSC 649: acted for the Defendant in a review of determination by Costs Registrar
- Guneser v Aitken Partners  VSC 210 and Guneser v Aitken Partners (cross-appeal on costs)  VSC 329: appeal and cross-appeal of determination of Associate Justice on review (led by Claire Harris QC)
- Deliver Group Pty Ltd v Fonterra (County Court of Victoria, 2019-2020): acted for Defendant in action for breach of contract, estoppel, misleading and deceptive conduct and unconscionable conduct arising from warehousing dispute, proceeding settled in weeks prior to trial
- DLA Piper Australia v Triclops Technologies Pty Ltd  VSC 93: acted for the Plaintiff in a proceeding concerning construction of costs agreement, the scope of retainer, and the novel question of whether law practice has standing to apply for extension of time to assess bills of costs under the LPUL
- DPP v Hobson  VCC 1557: application for trial by judge alone (led by Neill Hutton)
- DPP v Tripp  VCC 395: plea hearing, armed robbery
Before coming to the Bar Lucy was the Associate to his Honour Judge Meredith at the County Court of Victoria, and she worked as a solicitor advocate in a busy suburban practice. She is an avid basketball player.
Lucy read with Anna Robertson and her senior mentor was Elizabeth Brimer QC. Lucy holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) and a Bachelor of Arts from Monash University.
To get in touch with Lucy Dawson | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.