Michael Flynn QC
Phone:+61 3 9225 6471
MOBILE:0408 122 190
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Michael Flynn practises principally in the areas of taxation, administrative law, trusts and commercial law. He is a chartered accountant, was national president of the Tax Institute in 2014 and is the co-author of two books: Death and Taxes and Drafting Trusts and Will Trusts in Australia, both published by Thomson Reuters.
Recent examples of advice he has provided are amending trust deeds, the tax consequences of financing infrastructure projects and the application of Part IVA. He has acted for clients in relation to applications to remove a trustee, applications for freezing orders and in professional liability and contractual disputes concerning GST and income tax liabilities.
The cases in which he has appeared include the following:
- Trustee for Michael Hayes Family Trust v FCT  FCAFC 226 (Public trading trust, rectification)
- Sole Luna Pty Ltd v FCT  FCA 1195 (Forex loss, capital loss)
- Paule v FCT  FCA 394 (CGT rollovers)
- CBS Admin Pty Ltd v Commr of SR (Vic)  VCAT 1737 (Payroll tax)
- G J Grantham Pty Ltd v Commr of SR (Vic)  VCAT 1275 (Stamp duty)
- Jameson Global Investments Pty Ltd v Byron Bay Land Development Pty Ltd  NSWSC 729 (Contractual dispute, breach of fiduciary duty)
- Aussiegolfa Pty Ltd v FCT  FCAFC 122 (Super fund sole purpose and in-house asset tests)
- Divas Beverages Holdings Ltd v FCT  FCA 576 (Excise duty)
- FCT v AusNet Transmission Group Pty Ltd  FCAFC 60 (Deductions for copyright, valuation, tax consolidation)
- IOOF Holdings Limited v FCT  224 FCR 535 (Tax consolidation, admin law)
- Commr of State Taxation (SA) v Cyril Henschke Pty Ltd  242 CLR 508;  HCA 43 (Stamp duty)
- FCT v Word Investments Pty Ltd  236 CLR 204 (Charitable status of a company carrying on a business
- Markin v Animals Australia Federation  VSC 113 (Will construction)
To get in touch with Michael Flynn QC | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.