Phone:+61 3 9225 6796
MOBILE:0411 033 210
Owen Dixon Chambers
525 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Roslyn’s areas of practice are commercial law and common law. Below is a brief and non-exhaustive summary of some of the types of matters in which Roslyn has practised as a barrister.
- Appellate work including appearing as junior counsel in Kelly v Culakovski  VSCA 205, Wingfoot Australia Partner Pty Ltd v Jovevki  VSCA 21; Merhi v Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd  VSCA 328; Jessop v Herald & Weekly Times  VSCA 292; TAC v Zepic  VSCA 232; Willett v State of Victoria  VSCA 76, Lawstrane Pty Ltd v Ruttmar  VSCA 57, Hawkins v DHL Express (Australia) Pty Ltd  VSCA 26, Reza v Summerhill Orchards Ltd  VSCA 17.
- Judicial review including as junior counsel in a Supreme Court medical panel appeals in Luka v Firestone & Ors  VSC 522, Denham v Consolidated Herd Improvement  VSC 520.
- Trial work including appearing as junior counsel in Gray v Seltsam Pty Ltd (jury, asbestos proceeding, 2015), Rakich v Bounce Australia (jury, public liability, 2015), Jenkins & Aecom (2014, a Supreme Court multi-proceeding recovery/contribution action); jury trials such as Ree v Selvaratnam; Kahwagi-Tarabay v State of Victoria, Quirk v Wingfoot Australia Partner Pty Ltd, and causes in the Supreme Court including Davies v Nielsen (2016, Supreme Court), Clark v Tieman Industries Pty Ltd ( VSC 500)
- Coronial inquests, including Inquest into the death of Ena Edith Vickers (findings delivered 25.2.2016), Inquest into the death of Patiya May Schreiber (findings delivered 10.9.2015).
- Appearances in various interlocutory matters, including in extension of time applications (eg, Davies v Nielsen  VSC 584 as junior, Williams v Omeo District Health & Ors  VCC 652, alone), as junior counsel in Supreme Court strike out application in Amaca Pty Ltd v CSR Limited and Bradford Insulation Industries Pty Ltd; in Wadley v Ron Finemore Bulk Haulage Pty Ltd  VSC 5
- Appearances alone in serious injury applications, eg. Pipe v VWA  VCC 57; Buultjens v State of Victoria  VCC 1816, Fletcher v George Weston Foods Limited  VCC 1396, Salem v Victorian WorkCover Authority  VCC 1321.
- Advising, drafting court documents, medical panel referral documents.
- Trial work including as junior counsel in Supreme Court defamation trial in Jeffrey & Anor v Giles( VSC 268), appearance alone in trial in Annacott Pty Ltd v Konann Pty Ltd ( VSC 389), junior counsel in trial in Bluescope Distribution Pty Ltd v Beerens ( VCC 1802) and subsequent appearances alone in contested interest and costs arguments (2011)
- Appellate work including as junior counsel in the Court of Appeal in Siddique v Martin (2015), Ange v First East Auction Holdings Pty Ltd ( VSCA 335); Supreme Court appeal from VCAT in Country Endeavours Pty Ltd v Casacir Pty Ltd  VSC 22.
- Interlocutory work (see, for example, Tatts Group Limited v State of Victoria ( VSC 301)
- Practice Court appearances, including ex parte and subsequent contested application for freezing order (alone) in Supreme Court proceeding in Ma & Ors v Luo ( VSC 329)
- Drafting pleadings and other court documents
- Commercial advices in various areas, including defamation, testator’s family maintenance/wills and estates, and contractual disputes.
Roslyn signed the Bar Roll in May 2009, and she read with Mr Stephen O’Meara QC. Her senior mentor was Mr Neil Young QC.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Roslyn was a solicitor at Mallesons Stephen Jaques (now King & Wood Mallesons).
Roslyn completed her Law (First Class Honours)/Arts degree at the University of Melbourne, and she received prizes in both Contracts and Advocacy for being the top student in each of those classes.
To get in touch with Roslyn Kaye | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.