Phone:+61 3 9225 7222
MOBILE:0405 920 040
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Sanjay practices primarily in commercial law, common law and administrative law, with a focus on media law (defamation, contempt, suppression orders, and related matters).
Before coming to the Bar, Sanjay was a Senior Associate at Corrs Chambers Westgarth, practising in the Commercial Litigation and Technology, Media and Telecommunications practice groups. Prior to this, Sanjay was an Associate at HWL Ebsworth, in their Adelaide office.
As a solicitor, Sanjay was involved in and responsible for the conduct of a variety of media law, common law, general commercial and administrative law/regulatory matters, including:
- defamation, contempt and suppression issues, including acting for Rebel Wilson in her defamation proceedings against Bauer Media;
- pre-publication advice to major media organisations, including Channel 7, Channel 9, The Big Issue and The Conversation Media Group;
- administrative review of decisions, including decisions made pursuant to the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act 1999 (Cth);
- obligations and rights pursuant to Victorian and Commonwealth Freedom of Information legislation;
- obligations and rights pursuant to the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth);
- commissions of inquiry, including acting for Simon Overland APM in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants; and
- disciplinary prosecution of a number of licensed greyhound trainers, before the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board, VCAT, and the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Sanjay also has experience in construction disputes, trade practices disputes, trademark and copyright disputes, and general commercial litigation.
Sanjay has also acted for various entities within the Catholic Church in Victoria, including the Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne, the Catholic Diocese of Sandhurst, the Christian Brothers, the Marist Brothers, Catholic Church Insurance Ltd, and the Institute of the Sisters of Mercy of Australia and Papua New Guinea, in common law proceedings brought by individuals in relation to allegations of historical sexual abuse.
Between 2012 and 2013, Sanjay was the Associate to the Honourable Justice Vanstone in the Supreme Court of South Australia.
Sanjay holds a Master of Laws (with Distinction) from the Australian National University, a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) from the University of Adelaide, and a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Adelaide.
Sanjay is a member of the following organisations:
- Communications and Media Law Association
- Melbourne Press Club
- Victorian Commercial Bar Association (Media Law Section)
- Victorian Common Law Bar Association
Sanjay is reading with Renee Sion. His senior mentor is Dr Matt Collins AM QC.
- "Defamation Trials: Why Plaintiffs are Rush(ing) to file in the Federal Court" (with Conor O'Beirne) (2018) 37 Communications and Media Law Association Bulletin, Issue 4
- "Establishing a Right to Privacy in Australia: What would it look like, and how would it work?" (2018) 37 Communications and Media Law Association Bulletin, Issue 4
- "Can journalists really promise anonymity to their sources?" Gazette of Law and Journalism, 22 August 2017
- "Rebel Wilson v Bauer Media Pty Ltd and anor - Case Note" Gazette of Law and Journalism, 10 August 2017
To get in touch with Sanjay Schrapel | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.