Phone:+61 3 9225 7222
MOBILE:0405 920 040
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Sanjay practices primarily in commercial law, administrative law and common law.
He regularly appears in all State and Federal Courts and Tribunals, and advises in the following areas:
- General commercial disputes (including contractual disputes, insolvency, and partnership/shareholder/director disputes)
- Trade practices and competition law
- Real property law (including disputes relating to caveats and retail leases)
- Construction law
- Intellectual property (trademarks and copyright)
- Administrative law (merits review and judicial review, including proceedings in relation to the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act 1999 (Cth))
- Freedom of information
- Privacy law (pursuant to the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic) and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth))
- Defamation, contempt and suppression issues (including acting for Rebel Wilson in her defamation proceedings against Bauer Media)
- Pre-publication advice (including for Channel 7, Channel 9, The Big Issue and The Conversation Media Group)
- Confidential information/breach of confidence
- Commissions of inquiry (including acting for Simon Overland APM in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants)
- Personal injuries (including acting for various entities within the Catholic Church in Victoria in relation to common law claims relating to allegations of historical sexual abuse)
- Disciplinary prosecutions (including acting for Greyhound Racing Victoria in respect of prosecutions relating to the "live baiting" scandal)
Before coming to the Bar, Sanjay was a Senior Associate at Corrs Chambers Westgarth, practising in the Commercial Litigation and Technology, Media and Telecommunications practice groups. Prior to this, Sanjay was an Associate at HWL Ebsworth, in their Adelaide office.
Between 2012 and 2013, Sanjay was the Associate to the Honourable Justice Vanstone in the Supreme Court of South Australia.
Sanjay holds a Master of Laws (with Distinction) from the Australian National University, a Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) from the University of Adelaide, and a Bachelor of Economics from the University of Adelaide.
Sanjay is a member of the following organisations:
- Communications and Media Law Association
- Victorian Commercial Bar Association (Media Law Section)
- Victorian Common Law Bar Association
Sanjay is reading with Renee Sion. His senior mentor is Dr Matt Collins AM QC.
- "A 'non-colourable assertion' - litigating "pure" defamation claims in the Federal Court" CommBar Matters, 2 September 2020
- "Defamation Trials: Why Plaintiffs are Rush(ing) to file in the Federal Court" (with Conor O'Beirne) (2018) 37 Communications and Media Law Association Bulletin, Issue 4
- "Establishing a Right to Privacy in Australia: What would it look like, and how would it work?" (2018) 37 Communications and Media Law Association Bulletin, Issue 4
- "Can journalists really promise anonymity to their sources?" Gazette of Law and Journalism, 22 August 2017
- "Rebel Wilson v Bauer Media Pty Ltd and anor - Case Note" Gazette of Law and Journalism, 10 August 2017
To get in touch with Sanjay Schrapel | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.