Phone:+61 3 9225 8597
MOBILE:0422 725 443
William Crockett Chambers
460 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Sarah has a multidisciplinary practice in public, regulatory, and criminal law.
Her experience in criminal trials dealing with admissibility of evidence and forensic decision making allows for strategic insight where alleged regulatory contraventions become the subject of criminal charges.
She appears in trials in the Supreme Court and County Court, judicial review proceedings, appeals in the Victorian Court of Appeal and regulatory proceedings at VCAT. She also acts in commissions of inquiry and compulsory hearings.
Sarah’s experience covers alleged criminal cartel offences, contrary to the Competition and Consumer Act, foreign bribery, fraud, market manipulation, price fixing, environment protection offences, drug importation, murder and conspiracy. She has been briefed extensively to defend and prosecute charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act. She has been engaged to act in disciplinary proceedings brought by the Medical Board of Australia, Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, Psychology Board of Australia and the Veterinary Board of Victoria. Sarah has appeared regularly at the Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission including for Jetstar, for the Department of Education (DET), for a former Secretary of the DET and as counsel assisting the Commission. She has appeared at compulsory interviews and banning order hearings conducted pursuant to the Corporations Act and Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act and was briefed in ASIC's investigation into Bank Bill Swap Rate practices.
Sarah has been appointed to conduct 7 investigations (5 as sole investigator) within organisations concerning a broad range of allegations including bullying and of a sexual nature.
She provides written advice to Government Departments and Statutory Authorities.
She is on the Victoria Legal Aid Preferred Trial Counsel List, has an Indictable Crime Certificate, is an accredited advocacy coach and teaches at the Victorian Bar Readers Course. She has also taught advocacy on a number of occasions at the Legal Training Institute, PNG, as part of a program facilitated by the Victorian Bar and AusAid.
Sarah is a recommended Criminal Law Junior Counsel in Victoria in Doyles Guide, in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020. She is a recommended Workplace Health & Safety Law Junior Counsel in Victoria in 2021.
Prior to signing the Bar Roll Sarah was Associate to the Honourable Justice Curtain in the Supreme Court of Victoria.
More significant cases include:
- Hotel Quarantine Inquiry (2020) appeared for DELWP, led by Jennifer Firkin QC.
- Operation Sandon, IBAC, (2020) public hearings, briefed for interested party.
- DPP v Treasure  VSC 402 (murder, plea).
- DPP v Sleiman (2020) briefed for the Chief Commissioner of Police.
- Royal Commission into Management of Police Informers (2020), briefed for the Victorian Government Solicitor, led by Stephen O'Meara QC.
- Defending Commonwealth prosecution of alleged criminal cartel offences, contrary to the Competition and Consumer Act (ongoing) led by Dean Jordan SC.
- Dempsey (a pseudonym) v The Queen  VSCA 224 (interlocutory appeal, murder, admissibility of tendency and coincidence evidence).
- Investigation into the conduct of the former Lord Mayor, Robert Doyle (2018) led by Dr Ian Freckleton QC.
- Investigation into potential bullying relating to a National Sport (2017).
- Operation Lansdowne, IBAC, briefed to act for Jetstar (2017).
- Operation Dunham, IBAC, briefed to act for a former Secretary of the Department of Education and Training (2017).
- Yates (a Pseudonym) & Ors v The Queen  VSCA 188 (validity of a controlled operations Authority under s15GK(1)(f) Crimes Act 1914 (Cth)) led by Paul Holdenson QC.
- DPP v Downer EDI Works Pty Ltd (Nos 2 and 4)  VSCA 27 (validity of charges - whether 'necessity' under s21(1)&(2)(e) OHS Act must be particularised) led by Michael Tovey QC.
- DPP(Cth) and DPP v Watson  VSCA 73; (2016) 259 A Crim R 327 (child pornography offences, Director's appeal) led by Paul Holdenson QC.
- DPP V Daing  VSCA 58 (Director's appeal).
- DPP v Daing  VSC 440 (plea, murder).
- Operation Fiztory, IBAC,  junior counsel assisting the Commissioner, investigation re Public Transport Victoria (2014) led by Ted Woodward QC.
- Lydgate (A Pseudonym) v R (2014) 46 VR 78; (2014) A Crim R 419 (case stated - interpretation of 'care supervision or authority' under s48 and s49 Crimes Act 1958) led by Douglass Trapnell QC.
- DPP v FJL (2014) 41 VR 572 (interlocutory appeal against grant of permanent stay of proceeding).
- Dragojlovic v DPP (2013) 40 VR 71 (appeal - whether length of trial and presentation of evidence created a real risk that the jury failed to give a verdict according to the evidence) led by Nicholas Robinson QC
- DPP v FM (2013) 233 A Crim R 83 (interlocutory appeal - interpretation of ‘online offences’ in the Criminal Code) led by Justin Hannebery.
- DPP v Benbrika (Ruling No 3) (2011) 216 A Crim R 96 (terrorism charge, application for permanent stay granted) led by Michael Cahill.
- Joud v R; Benbrika v R; Raad v R; Sayadi v R (2011) 32 VR 400; (2011) 254 FLR 197; (2011) 216 A Crim R 96 (terrorism charge, appeal from refusal to grant permanent stay of proceedings) led by Michael Cahill.
To get in touch with Sarah Keating | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com