Phone:+61 3 9225 7432
MOBILE:0411 886 437
460 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Simon is a commercial barrister. He appears in trials and interlocutory proceedings in the Federal, Supreme and County Courts, and in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal and the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Simon has extensive experience in areas including:
• corporations and financial services litigation – including acting for company directors, shareholders, stockbrokers, financial planners, insurers and superannuation trustees;
• corporations and financial services regulation – including acting for companies and individuals facing investigation and enforcement action initiated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). He has acted for and advised persons in relation to large-scale ASIC investigations and related proceedings including the Vizard, Westpoint, AWB, Opes Prime, Trio Capital and Bill Express matters;
• insolvency and bankruptcy - particularly on behalf of liquidators, company administrators, receivers and trustees in bankruptcy. He has had extensive involvement in litigation arising from the collapse of a number of large managed investment schemes including Timbercorp, Great Southern, Environinvest, FEA and Willmott Forests;
• banking and finance - particularly on behalf of banks and other financial institutions; and
• a broad range of Corporations Act claims - including oppression actions, derivative actions, statutory demand cases, winding up applications, termination of winding up, examinations by liquidators, asset preservation applications, applications for access to corporate records and applications for security for cost.
Examples of proceedings in which Simon has appeared can be found here
From December 1998 to March 2003, Simon was engaged as a Legal Consultant with ASIC. At ASIC, Simon provided legal advice for large-scale corporate investigations and financial market investigations including market misconduct, continuous disclosure and insider trading investigations. Simon was the senior lawyer on the successful investigation and prosecution of Rene Rivkin for insider trading.
From February 1994 to December 1998, Simon was employed with Dunhill Madden Butler (now Norton Rose Australia) reaching the position of Senior Associate in the Commercial Dispute Resolution Division.
Simon has completed a Master of Laws at Melbourne University focusing on commercial law, financial services law and employment law. He has published articles on insider trading, director’s duties and the enforcement powers of ASIC.
To get in touch with Simon Rubenstein | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.