Phone:+61 3 9225 7579
MOBILE:0410 483 825
Owen Dixon Chambers East
205 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Bill is an expert in the fields of taxation law and trusts holding a Ph.D as well as an LL.M and has had many works on taxation published, including "Comparative Anti-Avoidance Rules" Jordans, UK and "Income Tax and GST Planning Strategies", Australian Tax Practice, which he co-authored.
He practices in Federal and State taxation and has been briefed in matters involving income taxation, GST, superannuation, stamp duty, land tax, general infrastructure contribution tax and payroll tax.
In addition, Bill has been briefed in general commercial law matters involving freezing orders, contempt of court, breach of trust, directors duties, insolvency, trade practices and common-law disputes (such as professional negligence and misrepresentation) and administrative law matters where prerogative writs were sought.
Bill is an accredited mediator.
Cases in which Bill appeared include:
High Court Appeals
- Spriggs & Riddell v Commissioner of Taxation (Cth)  HCA 22 (deductibility of management fees)
Special Leave Applications (including the trials and appeals of these matters)
- Rasim & Manuela Gashi v Commissioner of Taxation  HCATrans 181 (the nature of appeals to the FC under Part IVC and the nature and scope of the Commissioner’s power of assessment)
- Bell v Commissioner of Taxation  HCATrans 179 (the nature of appeals to the FC from the AAT and the construction of the small business concessions)
- Rhodium Australia Pty Ltd v Deputy Commissioner of Taxation  HCASL 118 (the circumstances in which costs may be awarded against and successful litigant)
- Lawrence v Federal Commissioner of Taxation  HCATrans 222 (dividend stripping rules in the income tax legislation and Part IVA)
Federal and Supreme Court Appeals (including the trials of these matters)
- Haritos v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 96 (appeal from the AAT).
- Commissioner of State Revenue v Australian Property Custodian Holdings Pty Ltd  VSCA 228 (valuation for stamp duty purposes).
Federal and Supreme Court Trials
- Mould v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSC 268. (land tax exemption – primary production land)
- CC Containers Pty Ltd v Lee (No 6)  VSC 151 (conspiracy, misrepresentation and the trade practices Act)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Haritos & Ors  VSC 12 (variation of freezing orders)
To get in touch with Bill Orow | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.