Phone:+61 3 9225 7222
MOBILE:0418 525 323
William Crockett Chambers
460 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Joanne practises primarily in criminal law and OHS matters.
Joanne has appeared in the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court and County Court. She has advised and appeared in a wide range of matters involving serious violent offences, deception, drug offences, sexual offences and WorkSafe prosecutions and investigations. Her experience includes all stages of advocacy from bail applications to contested committal hearings, trials, pleas and appeal work.
Joanne is on the Victoria Legal Aid Preferred Trial Counsel List.
Select recent cases include:
- Gioffre v The Queen  VSCA 177 (sentence appeal)
- Grimanis v DPP  VCC 908 (application for leave to appeal conviction)
- DPP v Barbara  VCC 1159 (driving - negligently causing serious injury)
- DPP v Murdoch  VSC 244 (murder, intentionally causing serious injury)
- Abdirahman v The Queen  VSCA 87 (sentence appeal)
- Zarghami v The Queen  VSCA 74 (sentence appeal)
- CDPP v Mamosi  (County Court trial – forced marriage)
- DPP v Drake  VSCA 293 (Director’s appeal, first standard sentence appeal in rape matter, appeared for Respondent, appeal dismissed)
- DPP v Le  VSCA 258 (Director’s appeal, conduct endangering life, appeared for Respondent, appeal dismissed)
- DPP v Madina & Douglas (a Pseudonym)  VSCA 73 (armed robbery and money laundering - interlocutory appeal, County Court trial)
Prior to coming to the Bar, Joanne worked with top-tier commercial law firms in Melbourne (Clayton Utz) and in Asia (Herbert Smith), specialising in white collar crime and regulatory matters. She was an Executive Director at Goldman Sachs in Hong Kong focusing on regional regulatory affairs and compliance, where her responsibilities included managing regulatory audits across Asia and advising in relation to compliance policies, particularly anti-money laundering.
Joanne also worked with private criminal law firm Balmer & Associates, appearing regularly as a solicitor advocate in the Magistrates’, Children’s and County Courts.
Joanne is a member of Crockett Chambers. She read with Justin Hannebery QC. Her senior mentor is Dr Ian Freckelton QC.
To get in touch with Joanne Poole | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.