Jonathan practices in general commercial, taxation (state and federal), insolvency and administrative law. He is regularly briefed to appear in all jurisdictions, including at first instance, appellate and high court levels.
Jonathan advises on complex commercial and tax-related issues. He is also an accomplished and sought after mediator and negotiator. His negotiation skill set draws on 20 years’ business experience at CEO/director level in the field of IT, as well as his prior professional work in counseling psychology.
Jonathan graduated Bachelor of Laws with distinction and was invited to teach Corporations Law, Equity and Trusts at Monash University. He was awarded the Law Institute of Victoria Prize as dux of the College of Law. He recently completed a Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne with first class honours, and was awarded the Society of Construction Law Australia award for Construction Law. Jonathan also has teaching qualifications.
Jonathan recently appeared before the High Court (unled), opposed to senior counsel, in Rozenblit v Vainer & Anor  HCATrans 13. He has previously appeared before the High Court in special leave application on several occasions, mostly unled.
Jonathan’s recent litigated matters include:
- Frontlink v Feldman  VSCA 319 - an appeal raising questions of contracts implied by conduct and estoppel by convention. Unled.
- Casdar v Fanous  VSC 616 - retail leases appeal concerning the question of whether certain heads of agreement constituted a binding contract or merely an "agreement to agree". Unled.
- Mondous v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSC 416 - an appeal resulting in setting aside a stamp duty assesment of $552,900. Involved questions of issue estoppel, abuse of process and trusts law. Unled.
- Rozenblit v Vainer  VSCA 52 - an appeal in relation to the circumstances in which proceedings can be stayed, where an impecunious litigant fails to pay an interlocutory costs order. Unled.
- Watercorp Investments Pty Ltd v Real Estate Property Management Service Pty Ltd (Unreported, District Court of NSW, Gibb DCJ, 15 December 2017). 27 day trial concerning disputes arising from the purchase and sale of a real estate business. Led by Martin Einfeld QC.
- Rainn Pty Ltd v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSCA 338 - an appeal in relation to the interpretation of the primary production exemptions to land tax, led by Stuart Morris QC
- Goulburn Murray Water v Valuer General Victoria  VCAT 1703 - Jonathan acted, unled, for the Valuer General in a dispute regarding the correct valuation of Lake Eildon and other water storage areas.
- Kameel v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSCA 83; Commissioner of State Revenue v Kameel  VSC 329 - successful appeals in relation to the interpretation of sections 14 and 15 of the Land Tax Act 2005, led by Peter Fox QC
- Frontlink v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSC 25 - Growth Area infrastructure Contribution - important case confirming exemptions for land used for state infrastructure, led by Stuart Morris QC. Subsequent to the successful appeal , the government introduced legislation seeking to disallow those exemptions.
- LQ Quarries v Barraport Investments Pty Ltd  VSC 191 - Application to set aside statutory demand
- RV Investments v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 1169 - Appeal from AAT Income Tax decision
- Villela v Telstra Corporation  VCC 914 - 39 day County Court Trial - negligence.
- Sea Shepherd Australia v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 68 - Appeal to Full Federal Court, unled - interpretation of Deductible Gift Recipient provisions in the Income Tax Assessent Act 1997.
- Connect TV v All Rounder Investments  FCA 98 - Contempt of Court application, led by Robert Richter QC
- Cedar Meats v Five Star Lamb  VSC 164 - 5 day trial, contract (abandonment)
- Villela v Telstra Corporation  VCC 882 - Successful apprehended bias application
- Norman South Pty Ltd & Geoffrey Edelsten v da Silva  VSC 477 - a high profile case concerning questions of contract and confidential information.