Phone:+61 3 9225 7222
MOBILE:0401 487 264
Owen Dixon Chambers East
205 William Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Michael practises primarily in criminal law, acting for both defence and prosecution in State and Commonwealth matters in all jurisdictions. He also accepts briefs in public and government law, including regulatory and enforcement matters, and for disciplinary tribunals and commissions of inquiry.
Before coming to the Bar, Michael was a senior federal prosecutor at the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions, with carriage of complex matters including drug importation and trafficking, online sexual exploitation, fraud, crimes at sea and public corruption prosecutions. Michael regularly appeared as a solicitor-advocate in the County Court and the Magistrates’ Court in contested plea, committal, bail and summary hearings. He also had an interstate practice and appeared in the ACT Supreme and Magistrates Courts and the NSW District and Local Courts.
Michael began his career as a solicitor at Allens, practising in commercial litigation and corporate law. He was then Senior Associate to Justice Redlich of the Victorian Court of Appeal. As a solicitor, Michael volunteered at the Fitzroy Legal Service and the Homeless Persons’ Legal Clinic (now Justice Connect).
Michael completed a Master of Law at the University of Cambridge in 2016, achieving a first-class grade. He completed a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts at the University of Melbourne in 2011, each with first-class honours.
Michael is reading with Shaun Ginsbourg. His senior mentor is Richard Maidment QC.
Michael appeared in the following matters as a solicitor-advocate:
- R v Johnston  ACTSC 46 (Justice Mossop, ACT Supreme Court, 2 March 2020) – sentence hearing in relation to an offender charged with online child exploitation offences.
- R v Watson (aka Foster)  NSWDC 767 (Judge Mahony, NSW District Court, 18 December 2019) – sentence hearing in relation to an intellectually disabled offender charged with child pornography offences and breaches of orders.
- R v Jabal  ACTSC 158 (Associate Justice McWilliam, ACT Supreme Court, 17 June 2019) – bail hearing in relation to a defendant charged with drug offences including importation of a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug (MDMA).
- DPP v Ibrahim  VCC 627 (Judge McInerney, Victorian County Court, 8 May 2019) – plea hearing in relation to an offender charged with receiving a bribe and other corrupt conduct.
- R v Donald  ACTSC 129 (Justice Burns, ACT Supreme Court, 25 January 2019) – sentence hearing in relation to an offender charged with child pornography offences.
- In the matter of an application for bail by Brendan Baker  ACTMC 27 (Special Magistrate Hunter OAM, ACT Magistrates Court, 2 November 2018) – bail hearing in relation to a defendant charged with drug offences including importation of a commercial quantity of a controlled drug.
- DPP v Truscott  VCC 652 (Judge Higham, Victorian County Court, 7 May 2018) – plea hearing in relation to an offender charged with procuring a child for sexual activity using a carriage service and child pornography offences.
- DPP v Townsend  VCC 1559 (Judge Campton, Victorian County Court, 27 October 2017) – plea hearing in relation to an offender charged with child pornography offences.
- DPP v Chea  VCC 1572 (Judge Montgomery, Victorian County Court, 26 October 2017) – plea hearing in relation to an offender charged with importing tier 1 goods (pseudoephedrine).
- DPP v Tanko  VCC 582 (Judge Cotterell, Victorian County Court, 12 May 2017) – plea hearing in relation to an offender charged with importing a marketable quantity of a border controlled drug (cocaine) as an internal courier.
To get in touch with Michael Keks | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.