Phone:+61 3 9225 6608
William Crockett Chambers
460 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Karen practices in public, regulatory and criminal law.
She is an experienced appellate and trial advocate who appears in all Victorian Courts and VCAT. Karen also acts in Royal Commissions, inquests, inquiries and other regulatory and disciplinary hearings. Most recently, Karen acted for Victoria Police and individual members in the Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informers.
Her practice includes providing advice and representation to individuals, corporations, government departments and statutory bodies.
Karen has particular expertise in occupational health and safety and related areas including environment protection, food safety, building and electrical safety. She also has substantial experience in proceedings arising under the Serious Offenders Act 2018 and the Crimes (Mental Impairment and Unfitness to be Tried) Act 1997.
Karen is recognised in the 2021 and 2022 editions of Best Lawyers in Australia in the area of Occupational Health and Safety. She is also recommended in Doyle’s Guide for Leading Criminal Law Junior Counsel – Victoria 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018.
Karen has a Master of Laws (LLM) specialising in corporate regulation, criminal law and human rights.
Karen holds an Indictable Crime Certificate and is on the Victoria Legal Aid Preferred Trial Counsel List. She is also an accredited advocacy coach and has taught in the Victorian Bar Readers Course and for the Australian Advocacy Institute.
Before joining the bar, Karen was a senior lawyer at WorkSafe Victoria and the Office of Public Prosecutions.
Some of the cases in which Karen has appeared are listed below.
Royal Commissions, inquests and inquiries
- Royal Commission into the Management of Police Informants (for Victoria Police and individual members, led by S. Holt QC & R. Enbom SC)
- Appearing on behalf of witnesses in IBAC public and private examinations (e.g. Operation Ross)
- Appearing as Counsel Assisting and on behalf of witnesses and interested persons in coronial inquests (e.g. Inquest into death of Cheryl May Currie; appearing on behalf of a witness in a coronial inquest regarding a workplace death in Antarctica - ongoing)
OHS and related matters
- Baiada Poultry Pty Ltd v The Queen (2012) 246 CLR 92 (High Court Appeal, led by D. Trapnell QC)
- Commissioner of the Australian Building and Construction Commission v Hall  FCCA 353 (acting for CFMEU and individual union officials in civil penalty proceedings, led by P. Morrissey SC)
- Acting (led and unled) for prosecuting authorities and clients charged with OHS and WHS offences, including successfully obtaining enforceable undertakings
Appeals and reviews
- Isen v Newbury  VSC 157 and Toscano v Cushen  VSC 158 (appeals on a question of law from the Magistrates’ Court, unled)
- Price v The Queen  VSCA 157 (led by D. Piekusis SC)
- DPP v O’Neill (2015) 47 VR 395 (led by O. P. Holdenson QC)
- Harrison & Rigogiannis v The Queen (2015) 49 VR 619 (appeared for the accused Rigogiannis, unled)
- Gild v Magistrates’ Court (2015) 44 VR 446 (originating motion, unled)
- Boulton v R (2014) 46 VR 308 (appeared for the Attorney-General on the hearing of Victoria’s first Guideline Judgment, led by Dr G. Lyon QC)
- Dao v The Queen  VSCA 93 (appeal against sentence, unled)
- Magee v Wallace  VSC 642 (appeal on a question of law from the Magistrates’ Court, unled)
- Farquharson v The Queen (2012) 36 VR 538 (Appeal against conviction to Court of Appeal and High Court Special Leave Application, led by D. Trapnell QC and P. Kidd SC)
- DPP v Musso  VSC 732 (first electronic trial, led by K. Judd QC)
- The Queen v Elmas  VSC 405 (acted for an accused charged with murder and attempted murder who was found not guilty by reason of mental impairment)
- The Queen v Fairest, Fields & Toohey  VSC 329;  VSC 827 & (acted for the prosecution in fitness investigations and special hearing)
- DPP v Bracken  VSC 94 (Supreme Court trial, led by R. Shann, acted for the accused who was acquitted of murder)
- Mocenigo v The Queen  VSCA 231(Supreme Court trial and successful appeal against conviction for murder to the Court of Appeal, led by J. McMahon)
To get in touch with Karen Argiropoulos | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.