Phone:+61 3 9225 6388
MOBILE:0400 578 171
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street Melbourne VIC 3000
Lachlan specialises in common law and personal injury matters.
He is experienced in preparing, advising and appearing in all jurisdictions for both plaintiffs and defendants in serious injury applications, statutory benefits claims, and common law damages actions (with a focus on public liability, product liability/ACL claims and medical negligence matters).
Lachlan has also advised and appeared in judicial review matters, including reviews of Medical Panel opinions, and appeals from the Magistrates' Court and VCAT on questions of law. Lachlan prepares paperwork in all of his listed areas. He also accepts brief to appear on Circuit.
Lachlan was the Senior Associate to Judge Philip Misso, head of the Damages & Compensation/Serious Injury List at the County Court of Victoria, for 18 months prior to coming to the Bar. Through his work at the Court, Lachlan gained a wealth of experience in serious injury applications, common law damages trials and a range of interlocutory hearings.
Prior to working as an Associate, Lachlan worked at Clayton Utz and DLA Piper. In 2013, Lachlan was seconded to the Supreme Court of Nauru as Associate to Chief Justice Geoffrey Eames OAM QC.
Lachlan holds degrees in Law and Arts (Media & Communications) from the University of Melbourne and is currently completing a Master of Laws (LLM) at the Australian National University with a focus on compensation law. He is a sub-editor of the Negligence chapter in the upcoming edition of Thomson-Reuters' The Laws of Australia.
Lachlan is a volunteer at the Fitzroy Legal Service, and a proud member of the Lawdons.
Lachlan read with Jacinta Forbes QC, and his senior mentor was James Mighell QC.
Lachlan's most recent cases include:
- Fuller v TAC  VCC 797; appeared for the Commission, led by Paul B Jens QC.
- Kelly v VWA ; appeared for the plaintiff, led by Jacinta M Forbes QC.
- Priddle v TAC ; appeared for the Commission, led by Andrew J McG Moulds QC.
- Veal v JBS Australia PL ; appeared for the plaintiff, led by Andrew D Clements QC.
- Breznansky v Crown Limited ; appeared for the plaintiff, led by Richard W McGarvie QC.
- Jordan v Woolworths Limited ; appeared for the plaintiff, led by James Mighell QC.
- Dempsey v Leighton Contractors Pty Ltd ; appeared for the plaintiff, led by James Mighell QC.
- Damjanovic v KAH Australia Pty Ltd (trading as Bayview Eden)  VCC 140; appeared for the plaintiff, led by James Mighell QC.
- Bentara v Toyota Motor Corporation Australia Limited  VCC 441; appeared unled for the plaintiff.
- Zhang v Victorian WorkCover Authority  VCC 770; appeared for the plaintiff, led by Paul Elliot QC.
- Chapman v Shamic Sheetmetal Australia Pty Ltd  VCC 813; appeared for the plaintiff, led by James Gorton QC.
- Stanilovic v JV Marine World  VCC 857; appeared for the defendant, led by Paul Scanlon QC.
- Nielsen v Schiavello Manufacturing of Australia Pty Ltd (Ruling)  VCC 1096; appeared unled for the plaintiff.
- Sarac v Ozdemir Holdings Pty Ltd (Ruling)  VCC 1058; appeared unled for the plaintiff.
- Turan v TT Logistics (Australasia) Pty Ltd  VCC 1862; appeared for the plaintiff, led by James Mighell QC.
- Whiteman v Victorian WorkCover Authority  VCC 11; appeared for the plaintiff, led by Morry Nightingale.
- Newing v Dr David Barton & Ors ; judicial review of the Opinion of a Medical Panel, with Robin P Gorton QC.
Magistrates' Court - WorkCover
- Refika Serifovska v Corrigans Produce Farms  VMC 36; appeared unled for the worker.
- Denise Gili v Keilor Hospital for the Aged Association Inc. ; appeared for the worker, led by Morry Nightingale.
- Allianz Australia Ltd v Sayed Hussaini ; appeared unled for the worker.
- CGU v Kim Taylor ; appeared unled for the worker.
- Kim Taylor v Tehree Gordon  VMC 42; appeared unled for the worker.
- Lenehan v Sargeant Transport Services  VMC 14; appeared unled for the worker.
- Elaine Holland v Divadeus Pty Ltd  VMC 23; appeared unled for the worker.
- Coppola v Transport Accident Commission (Review and Regulation)  VCAT 1608; appeared unled for the applicant.
- 22.11.16 - Katanas - High Court to revisit test for sub-section (c) serious injuries
- 7.11.16 - The Compensation Legislation Amendment Bill 2016
- 28.06.16 - When driving negligently, does a son owe his mother a duty of care not to die (or suffer serious injury)? Homsi v Homsi  VSC 354 (28 June 2016)
- 28.02.16 - Identifying an invalid Notice to Produce in a statutory benefits proceeding
- 10.02.16 - Jarvis II - Revenge of the Salvos
- 14.01.16 - "Jarvis" - what does it mean, and where is it at?
- 18.12.15 - Pitfalls when completing Solicitor Enquiry Forms for IB Claims - the ruling in Australian Commercial Doors Pty Ltd v Anthony Close  VSC 553
To get in touch with Lachlan Allan | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or email@example.com
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.