Phone:+61 3 9225 6189
MOBILE:0413 835 049
Owen Dixon Chambers East
205 William Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Before coming to the Bar, Tom was the In-house Lawyer and the Manager for Properties and Legal Services at Moonee Valley City Council. This position incorporated the roles of Legal Counsel, Manager Statutory Planning Enforcement, Manager Property Services and Municipal Building Surveyor. Prior to this unique role, Tom worked as a Building Surveyor and Building Inspector in both the private and public sectors and has over 20 years’ experience with extensive knowledge in advising councils, developers, builders, landowners, objectors and statutory authorities.
Tom regularly appears before the Victorian Civil Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), the Building Appeals Board, the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) and the Magistrates’ Court in planning and building related matters. Tom’s experience includes the following:
VCAT - PLANNING & ENVIRONMENT LIST
- Merit appeals for councils, objectors and property owners.
- Mediations and compulsory conferences.
- Declarations, injunctions and enforcement.
- Applications and/or appeals relating to 'existing use rights'.
- Removal or amendments to covenants and/or easements.
BUILDING APPEALS BOARD
- Disputes and/or appeals relating to 'protection of adjoining property'.
- Appeals and/or review of Building Orders and/or Building Notices.
- Appeals relating to Occupancy Permits and/or Building Permits.
- Appeals and/or review of 'Report and Consent' & ResCode matters.
- Applications relating to 'modification of building regulations'.
- Applications relating to 'determination in respect of a building design'.
- Applications relating to "COMBUSTIBLE CLADDING" or “PERFORMANCE SOLUTIONS”.
Appearing for the prosecution or the accused in statutory criminal prosecutions under the Building Act 1993 (Vic) and Planning and Environment Act 1987 (Vic).
VICTORIAN BUILDING AUTHORITY (VBA) - as disciplinary body
Advise and/or appear on behalf of the prosecution or the accused with respect to the conduct of building practitioners and their response to 'show cause notices'.
OTHER - INSTRUCTOR AT LEO CUSSEN INSTITUTE
Tom regularly presents the following subjects to trainee lawyers at Leo Cussen Centre of Law:
- Property law workshop.
- Lawyer's skills (Advocacy).
- Planning law workshop.
Tom is a sessional guest lecturer at:
- The University of Melbourne, presenting a module of the ‘Planning and Development Law’ subject as part of the Melbourne Law Masters.
- Victoria University, presenting the ‘Law’ subject as part of the Environmental & Risk Engineering course.
QUALIFICATIONS AND MEMBERSHIP
Tom holds the following academic qualifications:
- Bachelor of Laws.
- Master of Applied Science (Development Legislative Management).
- Graduate Diploma in Building Surveying.
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice.
- Graduate Certificate in Performance Based Building and Fire Codes.
- Tom was appointed by the Minister for Planning and Environment as the Legal Representative Member to the Building Advisory Council on 11 September 2012 for a term of three years and reappointed on 21 October 2015 for a further three years.
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
- Victorian Planning and Environment Law Association.
- Planning and Local Government Committee at the Law Institute of Victoria.
- Law Institute of Victoria.
- Victorian Municipal Building Surveyors Group.
To get in touch with Tom Vasilopoulos | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.