Julianne Jaques SC
Phone:+61 3 9225 7629
MOBILE:0439 038 978
200 Queen Street
Melbourne VIC 3000
Dr Julianne Jaques specialises in taxation law and revenue matters. She maintains chambers in both Melbourne (Owen Dixon Chambers West) and Sydney (11th Floor St James Hall Chambers) and regularly appears in both cities. She has extensive experience in dealing with all stages of taxation disputes, acting for both taxpayers and the Commissioner. She has also appeared in and advised on State Revenue matters. Prior to coming to the Bar she had over 10 years’ experience in private tax practice. She holds a doctorate in law from the University of Melbourne and is a chartered accountant.
Julianne has appeared in the High Court, Federal Court, Court of Appeal, Supreme Court, County Court, AAT and VCAT. She is experienced in alternative dispute resolution and has appeared in numerous neutral evaluations and mediations. She appears both led by senior counsel and as sole counsel.
Julianne has particular experience in disputes involving complex commercial transactions, to which she brings her strong legal analytical skill, her understanding of finance and government, and her expertise as a chartered accountant.”
Recent court appearances include:
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Anglo American Investments Pty Ltd  NSWSC 975 (14 July 2016) (led by David McGovern SC)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Leaver  FCA 1454 (17 December 2015) (led by David McGovern SC)
- Normandy Finance Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 1420 (17 December 2015) (led by David McGovern SC)
- Bywater Investments Limited v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 176 (11 Dec 2015) (led by Kristina Stern SC)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Gould  FCA 1345 (1 Dec 2015) (led by David McGovern SC)
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Chemical Trustee Limited (No 9)  FCA 1178 (3 Nov 2015)
- Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation (No 19)  FCA 454 (4 May 2015)
- Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation (No 17)  FCA 72 (12 Feb 2015)
- Taras Nominees Pty Ltd as Trustee for the Burnley Street Trust v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 4 (28 Jan 2015) (led by Greg Davies QC)
- Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 1392 (19 Dec 2014) (led by Des Fagan SC, now Justice Fagan of the NSW Supreme Court)
- Hua Wang Bank Berhad v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 28 (13 Mar 2013) (led by Michael Wigney SC, now Justice Wigney of the Federal Court)
- Perfek Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation; Lansell House Pty Ltd v Commissioner of Taxation  HCA Trans 247 (2 September 2011) (led by Helen Symon QC)
- The Shell Company of Australia Limited v Commissioner of State Revenue  VSC 147 (led by Peter Hanks QC)=
Advices provided include:
- February 2012: foreign income tax offset limits, with Mark Moshinsky SC (now Justice Moshinsky of the Federal Court)
- June 2012: taxation of sub-lease arrangements, with Alan Archibald QC
Julianne was named as a recommended junior counsel in Doyles Guide's listing of Leading Tax Barristers in 2015.
Julianne has been appointed a member of the Tax Practitioners Board from January 2016.
- Education Committee, Taxation Institute of Australia
- Tax Bar Association
To get in touch with Julianne Jaques SC | or for more information please contact the Clerk on: +61 3 9225 7222 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation.